Friday, May 5, 2017

Over in the other Hobby Shop!

I've said it, my friend Trevor Marshall has said it, and a few others have said it, but I'm going to say it again;
There's a ton of stuff over in the military, plastic, figure modeling world that we in model railroading should be looking more closely at. Particularly in the weathering/finishing products aisles.
Mig Productions has a large line of enamel based washes for a variety of effects
So far I've used only these 2, but I'm really pleased with the results. The rust I applied on a gondola just to see what would happen, I have more work to do on that, so image to come later, but the "cold grey" wash I had a lot of fun with.
First was this project,

A couple of Woodland Scenics, plaster culvert castings.
They were primed with concrete from Scalecoat, then given a number of washes with Tamiya greys and deck tan colours, but they really came to life with the application of a wash of the "cold grey" Mig wash.
Next I tried the same wash on a freight car.
This car as only had the Cold Grey wash applied, to help high light the planking and other details. And I'm really pleased with the results. I may add some other dust effects later, but for now, this car looks great.
Next is some neat things from Vallejo
These are acrylic washes for rust effects and really meant to be used in rather different manner than I did, but again the end result turned out well.
Instead of applying like a "pin wash" I used these washes over the entire surface of the cars, and let it dry.

And then sprayed a very thin, darker colour over the rivet lines and other areas where dirt may have collected.
Again, I'm super pleased with the results.
I encourage all of you to check out these products and the other weathering products in the armour section . You may be surprised at what you find.
In fact next week I'm going back to Toronto, in part to see what else I can find in the land of weathering washes.





No comments: